Catching Up Pt IV - In the Interim - September 8, 2009

Apologies for the long delay between updates. Clearly, I suck at consistency. I’ll try to be more on top of things henceforth, but, in my opinion, if I had the time and availability to consistently blogging on a daily basis, would I really be doing my utmost to explore, learn from, and enjoy Tajikistan and India?

Anyways, I am now in India after a brief stint back in the US for about 12-13 days. I spent most of my time meeting up with friends, getting pending action items taken care of, and fighting with my incredibly crappy health insurance provider, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia (BCBSGA). Apparently, on account of their shitty fax machine, poor communication, and unjustified assumptions, I will not be able to get a much needed MRI, as explicitly stated by my neurologist. Needless to say, I’ll be filing a complaint with the BBB. .. and I really hope Obama’s healthcare reform gains more traction and gets passed.

It has been about a week since I arrived in India. And, I must say, it has been quite the experience. Currently, my fellow AIF fellows and I are going through orientation, where we have spent a good deal of time learning about development, NGOs, and a myriad of different topics. It has been very informative and helpful, especially the site visits. As a group, I’d say that we mesh quite well, with a few quirks and hiccups here and there. Regardless, though, I’m generally getting the sense that everyone is comfortable with one-another and feel open to do as they see fit.

More on these site visits to come. And, so that my blog actually becomes more extrospective and introspective as opposed to purely a forum through which I can complain, I’m hoping to also blog about the following topics:
  1. Working in Pune while in development and not working on a grassroots level
  2. The juxtaposition of poverty alongside wealth in India
  3. Specific cultural and attitudinal differences in India (such as smiling at strangers)
  4. Bargaining and intimidation in Delhi
  5. Pan-handling in Delhi
Finally, I have a few half-completed entries that I wrote while in Tajikistan to post, which I will attempt to clean up and post while in Pune. Happy Reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment