The News, The Beginning

Hello, friend! Welcome to my travel blog. I am beginning this blog after learning that I have been selected as an intern with the Focus Humanitarian Assistance office in Tajikistan. I am absolutely elated by the news which, coupled with my upcoming fellowship in India with the American India Foundation, has led me to create this blog.

To begin, a little bit about myself. I am a South Asian, Canadian-American. I was born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, where I lived until I was 10, but have lived most of my life in Atlanta, Georgia, United States. In May 2008, I obtained a Bachelors of Science from the Georgia Institute of Technology in History, Technology, and Society, a minor in International Relations, and a couple of certificates in Public Policy and Social/Personality Psychology.

After much soul searching and shifting majors a number of times, I have finally figured out what I would like to do career-wise. While I have variably wanted to be a neurologist, computer programmer, psychiatrist, research psychologist, sociologist/historian/academic, and a myriad of other careers, I have relatively recently decided on international development. I have, for as long as I can remember, been interested in helping people and engaging in community service, so international development seemed like a fairly logical step to me. As such, I have decided to try my hand at international development, specifically education in emergencies. Let's see how just how resolute I am this time around! =)

I have lived in Atlanta for 14 great years. I have passed some very formative years here, and have gotten to know a number of great people who have always been there for me. But, as much as I will miss my family and friends in Atlanta, it is time for me to expand my boundaries and horizons and get some practical, grassroots experience in a developing country. I certainly have lived a relatively good and comfortable life in Atlanta, but I am also ready for a change...not to mention some progress in my career!

Before concluding this first entry, I should take a minute to discuss what this blog will and will not be. Very simply, it will be whatever I want it to be; though the blog is open to the public, it will mainly be a means by which I will engage in both introspection and extrospection on topics that interest me, be they directly or not directly related to my work and travel abroad. Hopefully, by writing for myself as opposed to an audience, I will be more open with my thoughts and more willing to venture outside of my comfort zone. I should also mention that, in an older blog of mine, I had an inclination toward long entries. I hope to avoid this as doing so takes up a good deal of time, meaning I will likely update less frequently and end up with less time to really take in what I hope will be an amazing, eye-opening, life-changing experience. No guarantees here, though...after all, check out the length of this introductory post!

Here's to hoping that I remain resolute in updating this blog and stick to its purpose. Here's to a good time abroad and a great, life-changing experience that will always be with me. And here's to having an impact in India and Tajikistan, even if that impact cannot be directly seen or felt. Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First! Bigz... err, I mean Samir, good luck on what sounds like a great adventure! I hope you get to experience, learn, and impact more than you ever imagined. We'll have to make these last few weeks in Atlanta count. - Rahym

Unknown said...

bigz hows istanbul!!! updates???

Post a Comment